Monday, September 1, 2008

Diving in the bible with a pair of goggles and speedos

I managed to open up the "bible" to page 128 which pretty much talks about how the mind is not only in the head but travels around the whole body. It was quite the philosphy lesson, and since philosphy tend to fly right over my head so i had to read it over a few times, but eventually I managed to grasp the concept and I agree with it. The author said he tried to close his eyes and concentrate on exactly where his mind is, but he couldnt seem feel that his mind was cruising, he felt it was stationary at the top of his head. I tried this exercise and I felt that my mind was also stationary, but not in my head, but in my heart, I can't explain why but thats where it seems to be hovering at the moment, it is a very interesting feeling to have after you've read this page and I'm sure I will be tracking my mind more often than I have been. I'll close with a quote on page 128.5, because I thought it was perfectly true:

"Two monks were watching a flag fluttering in the wind. One said, 'it's the wind that moves.' The other said, 'I disagree, it's the flag that moves.' But a Zen patriarch standing nearby, said, 'it's not the wind nor the flag...it's the mind that moves.'

No comments: